The calmer East River proved ideal for floating logs to the lumber mills in Sheet Harbour.
Located further up the coast from Halifax (actually to the east), Sheet Harbour is a small town near the junctions of Coastal Hwy 7 and Hwy 224, with
Hwy 374 cutting north toward Liscomb Game Sanctuary. After some early name changes, Sheet Harbour became the official name in 1818 for its white cliff visible from the seaward side.
With its many lakes and streams, this richly forested area is wonderful for sport fishing, hunting and photographic opportunities. However, these were not primarily what built Sheet Harbour. The town
grew up between the East and West Rivers because of its lumber mills, commercial fishing industry and two major ship building yards in the 1800s.
The lumber industry, as well as foresight and astute planning, is also what built Clan MacCalister into a prominent family in Nova Scotia. This and connections with the Royal Canadian Navy allowed the MacCalister Manor to be converted into
the RCN Training Garrison when World War II broke out.